Biodigital Architecture Master Official Master`s Degree and P.h.D. Barcelona, 2014
The UIC Master’s Degree Programme in Biodigital Architecture was created in 2000 as a pioneering postgraduate programme, the first that treated the subject of architecture from the biological and digital perspectives, and the first to provide systematic studios, workshops and seminars with the founders of digital organicism, the new cutting edge of the 21st century. Within the context of the research line on genetic architectures at the ESARQ School of Architecture, students will pay special attention to new cybernetic-digital and new ecologic-environmental architectural design as a way of developing biodigital architecture, emergence, genetic and generative concepts in the biological and digital worlds, biomimesis, biolearning, morphogenesis, etc. Students will also experiment with genetic-driven software, evolutionary processes, emerging systems, algorithms, parametrics, scripting, etc.
New technologies have given us new production possibilities (Data-Driven Production, CNC machines, 3D printers) that lead to new formulations of non-standard architecture based on genetic principles (variation, mutation, hybridization): New architecture fornew possibilities.
Introduction to Genetics and Biodigital Architecture.
Seminaris and conferences on:
· Metaphysics and Computation
· Theories of Emergence
· The Fundamentals of Genetics
· The Emergent Character of Life
· Eco Manipulation
· Genetic vs. Generative
· Digital Tools and Organic Forms
· New Bio & Digital Techniques
· The Work of Antoni Gaudí and Salvador Dalí source of Biodigital Architecture
Digital Tools and Organic Forms
Practical classes with training on digital tools such as generative software, parametric associative software, scripting, production tools and CAD/CAM machining, linked to project development.
Genetic and Biodigital Architectural Design:
Studios and workshops with personalized tutorials for the development of designs and research.
Final presentation of research project:
25th July 2013.
The specific formation objectives of the Title are mainly based on theapplication of new biological and digital techniques to architecture, ofgenetics to architecture, from two entries, the cybernetic-digital andthe ecologic-environmental. Acquiring digital architectureknowledge understood from genetic principles from the mostadvanced experimental architecture.
The specific competences of this Master, that the student need toachieve until the end of his study, are:
- Aptitude to elaborate architectural projects to satisfy the naesthetical requirements and also the requirements of advance digital technology, environmental, biological and genetic technology applied to architecture.
- Capacity to work with advanced software applied to architecture, for example, with computing programs as 3DStudio+VRay, Rhino, RhinoCam, Grasshopper, Rhinoscript, Maya, TopMod, XFrog, TopSolid, etc., parametrics programs, CAD/CAM, scripting and other digitally novelties that come every year.
- Knowledge of the new possibilities of application of genetic in architecture, and also of the new biological and digital new techniques.
- Capacity to reflect on the principles of the research and the methods of genetic and biology research applied to architecture, specially through digital tools.
- Capacity to innovate in the development and application of ideas in a context of research in biodigital and genetic architecture.
- Capacity to adequately organize research projects of biodigital and genetic architecture.
- Skill to compose knowledge and be in front of the inner complexity of an interdisciplinary area as is informatics, biology, genetic and architecture.
The perspectives, opportunities and challenges that the knowledge of this Master involve are amazing. The most new digital technology with understandings from biology is the most advanced stage that exists in the architecture’s world. Therefore, there is an unexplored working market where the open fields are unlimited.