New York State Business Plan Competition 2013
The 2013 New York Business Plan Competition will be held April 26, 2013. The 2013 competition will expand to feature the 10 major regions of New York – Capital Region, Central New York, North Country, Mohawk Valley, Finger Lakes, Western New York, Southern Tier, Mid-Hudson, New York City, and Long Island – and selected regional partner institutions, to host semi-final competitions in each of these regions in early April 2013. The top teams from each of the regions will advance to the final statewide competition where the teams will go head-to-head for the grand prize at the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering of the University at Albany on April 26, 2013.
The New York Business Plan Competition is a venture creation and innovation competition that was established in 2009 to encourage innovation and entrepreneurship throughout New York’s universities. Regional partner institutions will host a semi-final competition in each region in early April 2013.
The top teams from the 10 regional competitions will advance to the final statewide competition where they will go head to head for the grand prize on April 26, 2013. At the end of the 2012 competition, more than $310,000 in cash and prizes have been awarded to 140 student teams.
Ventures must fall into one of the following categories:
- Biotechnology / Healthcare
- Energy / Sustainability
- Information Technology / Software
- Nanotechnology / Advanced Technology
- Products / Services
- Social Entrepreneurship / Non-Profit
- Consist entirely of currently enrolled graduate and/or undergraduate students from accredited New York State colleges and universities
- A faculty or staff member is required to be listed as an advisor for the team; offering guidance, support, and technical expertise
- Students may not participate on more than 1 team each year of the competition
- Cumulative public and private capital raised may not exceed $100,000
- Student ownership of venture must be 100%
- Interested teams should click on “Go Compete” and complete the team application.
- Submit it as directed by March 1, 2013. Teams are not required to submit full business plans in order to participate. The presentation format for the regional semifinal and statewide final competitions is the same.
- Each team will have 10 minutes to pitch, which will be followed by 5 minutes of Q&A with the panel of judges.
- Judges are advised to act as they would in a closed-door boardroom investment presentation during the Q&A session.
- The top two teams in each of the six categories from all of the 10 regional semifinal competitions will advance to the statewide final competition at the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering of the University at Albany on April 26, 2013.
- These 120 finalist teams will be selected by investor judges at the regional competitions, which will be held throughout late March and early April.
- 120 finalist teams from the 10 regional competitions will go head-to-head at the final statewide competition for over $225,000 in cash and prizes.
The deadline for submission of applications for the 2013 competition is Friday, March 1, 2013 at 11:59
p.m. For more information about the program and to submit an application, visit