USITT 2013 “Ideal Theatre” Student Design Competition
United States Institute for Theatre Technology’s (USITT) 2013 “Ideal Theatre” Student Design Competition Architecture and theatre students are invited to participate in USITT’s Sixth Annual “Ideal Theatre” Student Design Competition. The competition encourages architecture students to work with young theater artists to explore the emotive power of space, how space can aid storytelling, and how it can be manipulated to achieve a dramatic purpose.
The design of the space itself should form the environment of the play, supplemented by costumes, props, lighting, sound, actors, and the audience. Winning design teams will interact with working professionals, receive free Conference registrations and cash prizes. Application deadline is due by December 7, 2012 and the deadline for completed submissions is January 5, 2013. A jury of professionals will select three projects for Honor Awards. The Honor Award teams will be invited to the USITT Conference & Stage Expo in Milwaukee, Wisconsin from March 20 to 23, 2013. The three teams will present their design at a special event at which time a final winner will be determined. Past winners have included teams from Iran, Germany, Poland, Spain, and the Unites States.
- Category Student , International
- Type Open, single-stage
- Registration Deadline 12/07/2012
- Submission Deadline 01/05/2013
- Open To Architecture and theatre students, recent grads.
- Entry Fee None
- Awards $1000 to each Honor Winner additional $500 Commissioners Award
- Jury The jury will include a practicing architect, a theatre director, a scenic designer, and a theatre consultant.
- Contact Shannan Hoerger
- Address USITT 315 South Crouse Ave Suite 200 Syracuse, NY 13210
- Email Competition E-Mail
- Web Site Competition Web Site
- Phone 315-463-6463 x101
- Fax 315-463-6525